I just had the opportunity to install and config the 64 bit Adobe iFilter on two different Server 2008 systems.
I have a client with a small WSS installation that we recently migrated to WSS 3.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2008. I had mentioned that we could put in the iFilter, as they manage quite a few PDFs in their organization. At first, he dragged his feet – he thought that only the icon was going to show up – and he was a little underwhelmed with the necessity for that. But once I explained to him that not only were the documents going to be indexed (AND the icon would show up in search and in document libraries), but that they would be full text indexed, he was very interested. Now that he’s actually seen it in action, he’s thrilled.
The best blog that I found to help in this process will help you get most of the way. I also gleaned some supplementary info from this blog, even though it is aimed at MOSS. I thought I’d add a few things that were different in my systems to help anybody else attempting to do this.
The systems I installed on are as follows (by the way, here is a great reference for figuring out what version of SharePoint is installed):
I was able to follow all of the directions up to the first registry subkey entry. It took reading the blog comments to realize that I needed to replace the default key with the one in the directions –
Next, I needed to locate and download the image file for the PDF icon.
Make sure to IISRESET after making any changes to the docicon.xml file and keep in mind that you may have to reboot the server when you’re done. I don’t recall now if the SBS server required a reboot to get this working, but the Windows Server 2008 one definitely did. Restarting the search service was not enough.
All in all, these instructions were pretty easy to follow. On the SBS server, I had to stop and install and configure the Indexing Service, as it seems that indexing is not enabled by default on Server 2008. Also, for some reason, the iFilter didn’t work the first time with the SBS server, but after I meticulously double checked everything, reviewing both blogs, I was able to get it to work. One of my registry settings hadn’t taken (adding the new string value 38), and that may have been the only issue. The installation and config worked well on Server 2008 with no issues.